Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

To the Ones Living a Life of Singleness



It is just another Friday night... I have finished my last Friday of high school, representing Maroon Friday with the awesome Vans (Hail State!), enjoyed the company of new precious friends while singing our hearts out in the movies, and so forth...

But tonight is different than other Friday nights. As I sit back and think about these past several months, I begin to realize all that the Lord has done. He has blessed us with opportunities daily to share his love, and, for me personally, He is daily calling us to something higher. Something greater than many are willing to give-- to take advantage of the life He has given us in every moment. It looks differently for each person, but for many of us He is calling us to take advantage of living a life of singleness.

Say WHAT? He is calling us to live a period of time in singleness? 

For some of us, yes. Over these past several weeks, I have battled this very idea. Lord, why are you calling me to serve you in the midst of brokenness and singleness? The answer to this question usually is this: He calls us to serve in the midst of our brokenness because it is when we are shattered that His light can shine through our imperfections. Why would someone who is lost in darkness want to listen to a message that those who have their lives together are sharing? Surely they don't know what it is like to be broken! This cannot be further from the truth when we serve with our imperfections reflecting our Savior's grace!

During this same time of brokenness, I have had awesome godly mentors pour into me the importance of living for the Lord in the midst of a time of singleness. They continually are reminding me that the time I have right now will never happen again in my life. Right now, I do not have a spouse to be submissive to, nor do I have children that are dependent upon me. No! The only One I am to be submissive to during this period is the Lord! His will can be preeminent-- there are no worries if your spouse is also being called in the same way, nor are there worries that your children will need to be taken care of. This time is the perfect opportunity to lay down your "YES" on the table to the Lord's will. He only knows how He will work in your life when you are willing to be submissive to Him.

Who knew a period of singleness could be a blessing? It was in the midst of heartbreak that I realized how awesome the Lord is for allowing me this time to serve Him! Despite what society says, it is definitely okay to live single! Submit yourself to the Lord-- it is truly amazing how He will work and fill you with His spirit and joy! 

Lord, you are amazing. Thank you for your sovereign plan, including that of singleness. Thank you for having control over our lives, for knowing us better than we know ourselves. Your ways are wonderful, your ways are higher than our ways. Oh, how amazing you are. Let us never doubt your goodness, even in the midst of heartbreak and brokenness. Rather, bring us into your will, that your kingdom may be glorified through our shattered lives. Our yes is on the table-- use us as you will!

Also: Costa Rica Post coming soon! Cannot wait to share how the Lord is working internationally and how He worked in our team's lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment