Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Gloria a Dios!

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'"
~Isaiah 52:7


Growing up being instilled with a passion for missions is such a blessing. I never will discount those years of Girls in Action in church learning about God's command for we as Christians to go into all the world and make disciples! We are not only told to do so, but commanded. So, most recently my mother, sister, and I-- along with four other ladies-- traveled to the Dominican Republic to partner with One Child Matters and their project in Quebrada Honda.

A beautiful church in the city of Santiago

Let's put this into perspective for a second. Quebrada Honda is about 20 miles from the city of Santiago de los Caballeros. This small village is full of impoverished, loving families who- despite their economic situation- strive to provide for everyone (even strangers like us!). Santiago has a population of about 551,000 people, the majority of which claim to be Christian (90% of these claim Roman Catholic as their primary religion). The government here respects the rights of citizens to practice whichever religion, just like here in the States. Dominican Catholicism is a mix of Roman Catholic traditions and African-inspired religions/ceremonies, or Santeria, and is widespread in the Dominican Republic. There are some small Protestant, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Mormon and Jewish communities throughout the Dominican Republic, one of which our team had the privilege of worshiping with throughout the week.

Before our trip, we had considered different opportunities of ministry that we had been presented with. We are firm believers in the power of prayer, so, of course, we prayed over each of our options and knew for certain that God was calling us to the Dominican Republic. We were then told what we would be doing while in the country. Being partners with One Child Matters, we were to go and bless one of their projects in the area named the "Joyas de Cristo" (Treasures of Christ) development center in Quebrada Honda. Here at this center, children living nearby come after their schooling to be tutored and taught God's Word and His principles. Because of the giving of many, a new building with four new classrooms was built for these children. While at the center, we would be sharing God's love with these children, building lasting relationships with them, and painting their new building that would be dedicated later in the week.

Joyas de Cristo Development Center in Quebrada Honda


After months of preparation, the day had finally come for us to leave and embark on our long-expected journey to the DR! We boarded our first flight and were off-- expecting God to work in mighty ways in AND through us while we were away.



It was not too long into the flight when I was able to talk with my neighbor on the plane. I had noticed she was quite different, so (being the curious Southern girl I am) I proceed to get to know her. She was somewhat of an elderly woman, a New-Yorker; she had once taught English abroad, had occupied many jobs, none of which were "right" for her. She was a woman of little motivation- she admitted to being more of a "lazy" employee... one of whom employers were not interested in hiring. This woman was completely discouraged, on the verge of homelessness, at odds with the world and all who inhabit it. Despite all of this, what stood out to me the most, however, was one particular statement she said. I recorded in my travel journal that night:

"What stuck out to me most about this woman was this statement: 'There's one planet. I'm one person with one life. I'm just interested in surviving...' Wow. If everyone had that kind of outlook on life, how miserable it would be! I know I should have responded with a promise of Christ having a purpose for our lives and how He loves her, but I couldn't think of that at the time, unfortunately. I was truly speechless. What do you say to something like that? THIS definitely wasn't something I had been preparing for!"
Let me just tell you-- if you are a person with this disposition, there IS a hope! His name is Jesus. He was sent to this earth, lived a sinless life, and died for you and me. Your life has a purpose: Love God, Love Others, Live for the Expansion of His Kingdom! You do not have to live aimlessly. Look to He who created all things for what He created you for!

View of the rooftops of Santiago our first morning
After arriving in the Dominican, our team was ready to experience firsthand this new culture of different food, language, and region of the world. The next day we drove to the project expecting God to work mightily (which, of course, He did!). Children came from every part of the village- none could speak English of course. But our God is a God of wonders. His love can break the toughest of barriers-- even language barriers! Though we could not completely communicate with these children the way we would have liked, Christ's love is universal. We as a team could feel it radiating from their smiles, laughter, and joy, and it was obvious that they could sense it in us as they accepted us with open arms and loving hugs.






All smiles during a game of volleyball and EVERYONE gets stickers!

While with them, my sister, my friend Chloe, and I enjoyed playing sports, making crafts, singing, and dancing with all the children. We loved each of them immediately, although two stood out to me the most. One boy's name was Gehisou. He was deaf, but you would never be able to tell from his positive demeanor! He was not able to receive an education, and he did not even know sign language. Did that stop him? Of course not! In fact, sometimes I would completely forget he was deaf! It amazes me how despite his impoverished way of life, despite his "obstacle" of deafness, this child has more joy than anyone I know. It shames me that I can be so discontent with what I have, yet I am SO blessed to live in a free country, have running water and a roof over my head, know that I will have another meal, yet this boy has no guarantee of that and I complain. How dare I ever complain about what I don't have when I have so much more than the rest of the world. How blessed we are!!




My other friend that stood out was Nayely. She was the absolute sweetest girl I have ever met. Her passion and determination for learning was truly inspiring. She was working on learning English so that she could one day communicate with us fluently. She wanted to know everything about America and what our lives were like back here. Knowing the condition she lived in, personally visiting her hut in the village, made me hesitate to tell her of my life back here. It is amazing what I take for granted as being "normal" is a dream to these kids. They have absolutely nothing. Yet they have more joy everyday than we as Americans do at holidays like Christmas. Our culture is constantly fueling us to want to have and own the BEST and NEWEST thing offered. If only we would realize that this idea is taking away the opportunity to invest in the lives of those who have nothing, those who desperately could use the funds we waste on yet another thing to replace one that was perfectly fine. When will our culture learn to be content with what we are blessed with? When will I learn to be content??





After a week of playing and painting the new classrooms (How perfect is that??), we were blessed with a day to be at peace and reflect on what God had done in our lives that past week. We were able to visit Puerto Plata, only about an hour from Santiago, and enjoy God's creation on a beautiful day! God knew that my family especially would need this peace before news of a storm back at home. While resting in God's perfect plan, we receive news that my Papaw, who had been suffering from dementia for quite some time now, had passed away in His sleep to be with his Lord and Savior. Though the pain was unbearable, I was quite jealous of my Papaw! I only wish I could have been there to see his face when he met his Savior whom he loved oh so dearly. I wish I could have been with God then to learn of what may become from our ministry while in Quebrada Honda. So many questions... one day they will be answered!



The new classrooms are almost ready!

The painting crew!



All in all, our God is an awesome God. He orchestrates everything for His purpose, we only have to trust in His timing. "Glory to God, Glory to God, Glory to God!" or, as the congregation we worshiped with continually shouts, "Gloria a Dios!!"



If you have any interest in serving this organization or sponsoring children like those in the Dominican Republic, I encourage you to check out www.onechildmatters.org and consider what God may be calling you to as well! They have projects all over the globe, and would LOVE for you to become involved in spreading His kingdom!

Singing and Dancing with the kids in the project.
Continue to pray and open your heart to if God is calling YOU to missions. We all have a mission field at home, but answer HIS calling-- whatever it may be!
Such a pain to leave these loving hearts... but such a blessing to know that these hearts belong to Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment