Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Overwhelmed by Grace



Over the past several weeks, I have found myself in the midst of chaos and stress with the new school year. Not only are the academic responsibilities piling up, but now I am just OVERWHELMED with all that this upcoming year will bring. It is almost hard to step back and think, "Is this all that I am created for? To be consumed with busyness that I have no time for my Savior?" ABSOLUTELY NOT! We are all created with one purpose-- to bring praise and honor to the One who saved us over 2000 years ago by dying on a cruel cross for our punishment. To many who have never heard this incredible news, they absolutely cannot fathom this Awesome Love that is our God! But to others who have, unfortunately, become calloused to the message, why are we not OVERWHELMED by grace? How did we lose our wonder? Why are we no longer in awe of the message of eternal redemption?

While I was overseas, there were so many who were so overjoyed by this very message. I honestly was extremely ashamed that though I knew my Savior, I had lost the wonder and passion of his love. Seeing the pure joy on the faces of those who first learned of the Creator's love for them gripped my heart.

I would be reminded, "YOU were once that child amazed by My love. You were once THAT engrossed by the Message of forgiveness for all of eternity. Where have you gone? Come back to your first love!"

Often, it is so difficult to step out of my earthly loves and passions and INTO His glorious, perfect love. It is from this love that we are able to love others. (1 John 4:19 "We love because HE first loved us.") Is that not amazing? When was the last time any of your earthly loves gave you that much fulfillment? Obviously, no other love besides HIS love has. Anything this earth can give me just leaves me wanting more. My soul's eternal need cannot be satisfied by temporary means. No longer do I want this world, but I crave His eternal kingdom. No longer am I a wretched sinner, but because of His blood, I am seen as spotless in His eyes. How AWESOME is that?

When you take a moment to stop and really think about your priorities and values, what amazes you? What do you put your whole self into-- passions, hobbies, sports, academics? When you push yourself in these areas, who are you doing it for? Are you doing it for yourself? God? As Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the LORD, not for men." We should be so overwhelmed by his daily grace and forgiveness that we feel, out of love and with a grateful heart, obligated to dedicate everything we do for him. Does that mean that everyone who loves the Lord does this all the time? Of course not. We are still living in a fallen world until we are called to our eternal Home with Christ our Savior. But out of pure wonder, we return to the state of ultimate humility as we stand before our Lord and live our lives to honor Him.

Busyness also becomes a distraction in this day and age. There are always those days where it seems that life is almost too busy for you to even stop and breathe. Especially in these moments, take time to rest in His peace. Be amazed that He provides rest and comfort-- EVEN in the midst of trials. Never become too busy to stop and praise the Creator! Even He rested after His handiwork was completed. He set that example of rest to reassure us that life WILL be busy. We will be tired. But in the midst of exhaustion, He is our tranquil refuge. I am always amazed in the peace that He provides, but why do I still find myself too busy to stop and spend time with my Savior? How can you reprioritize your life so that you remain focused on your treasure, not on gaining earthly possessions or glory through the busyness of this life?

Have you lost your wonder in the saving Grace that gives us eternal life? Has your heart become hardened and complacent to the Message that is the Gospel? What should we as believers do to re-spark this long-lost passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment