Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Be Still and Know

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" 

Psalm 46:10

"Be Still and Know." It seems as though I see it everywhere... from cute little quote boxes to Instagram bios, this statement almost seems commonplace. So often, I tend to brush it off as an "encouraging statement" for those like me who are constantly busy with everything and forget to rest. 

IT IS SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT! It is not even close to being JUST a casual phrase-- it is a command. A command many, especially myself, neglect to obey. 


Why is it that we find it so hard to just BE STILL? As a college student, I constantly feel like I have to be doing something. When I actually have a chance to sit, I find myself panicking because I should PROBABLY be doing something for class the next day. But even in those moments, I am commanded to be still.


We are commanded to be still, even when we have doubts. KNOW that He is God.


This time last year, I was a senior in High School with absolutely no idea about my future in college. Doubts, of course, began to creep in. What would it be like on my own? Did I make the right choice in my school? Would I be lonely? Should I just pack up and move to Africa right now? (I wish...)


It would be impossible for me to have known any of the answers to those questions then. If only I knew at that time everything that I have the answers to now. The Lord would provide for me on my own. Absolutely, Mississippi State was the place for me during this time as a Freshman in college. Loneliness would only be temporary-- He would provide me with a spiritually mature, encouraging group of friends in His timing. (Still think I should move to Africa, but...)


However, because I did not have the answers, I instead chose to rest in His promises. As Exodus 14:14 states, "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." There it is again-- BE STILL. In the midst of doubt and worry, stillness is key. The Lord is in control. 


"So do not fear, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." 

Isaiah 41:10

We are commanded to be still, even when we are busy.


That statement sounds so contradictory, but I promise it is the truth. In fact, the most treasured times with the Lord are often when we take a step back from the chaos surrounding us and breathe in His peace. When we take time to simply rest in the Lord and His goodness, we are acknowledging that He is our source of strength. Busyness, honestly, is a monster created by our society. It distracts us from our created purpose of glorifying the Lord and expanding His kingdom. 


"Resting" is easier said than done. I mean, how often do I REALLY take the time to stop and rest, even for a moment? We get so caught up in responsibilities, assignments, appointments, you name it... those things just HAVE to get done! Not only that, but even in times of stillness technology is constantly calling for our attention. It is lying to our human nature that we have to be constantly connected!


This, of course, cannot be further from the truth. Constant connection pulls us away from relationships with people (yes, you can actually talk to people face to face), opportunities to serve others, and most importantly time that could be spent investing in our walk with the Lord. It seems so simple... serve others, be a light, and spend time with your Savior. The whole system gets complicated, though, the very moment that our human nature gets the best of us and says that our time could be spent more "wisely" in other areas (because why not watch two seasons of a show in two days? That sounds smart!). We lose track of time, and before we even realize it, we have cut our time with the Lord to a measly five minute devotion and prayer before we go to bed.


When did we convince ourselves that it was acceptable to save such a small amount of time for our Savior? We are called to be still; will we follow that direction?


We are commanded to be still-- so let's start.


Honestly, it is so difficult to get alone with the Lord without distractions. There is a constant presence of people, and when we are alone, technology begins to fill that "void". How are we going to be able to heed this imperative statement if we cannot get away? It is easiest to simply find a place of refuge; a place where you can spend time with the Lord without any distractions. No people. No phones. Nothing but you and the Lord.


For me, the bridge in the picture above is my place of solitude. Nature has always been a scene of solace when my world is full of chaos; what better location to get alone and sit in awe of Him than in His creation? This bridge is where I can truly Be Still as I am told. It is where I can place all my distractions, troubles, and worries aside and allow the Lord to fill me with His presence. In the silence, you can hear His callings on your life. In the stillness, you can feel His guidance in your walk. In the loneliness, you can be accompanied by His companionship. He is all you need in those moments alone with Him, the King of Kings and Creator of all things.


As a new year is approaching, just Be Still. Find a place of solitude with the Lord. Rest in His presence-- He is in control.


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Matthew 6:34

No comments:

Post a Comment